Wednesday, January 27, 2010

capturing the canadian spirit

First Peak 20x24" acrylic



Singled Out 16x20" acrylic

These are my two entries that were accepted into the juried show Capturing the Canadian Spirit. It's being put on by the Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in Vancouver, during the 2010 Olympics. This show features art depicting all aspects of Canada: the place, the people and the spirit that defines this country; our landscapes, cityscapes, sports, arts and lifestyles. There are 127 works of art in this show. It will be displayed at the Federation Gallery on Granville Island from Jan 26 - Feb 28th. I hope you can get out to see it!!!
Of course I had to depict a Canadian surfer (a sport close to my heart). This is from a surf break close to my home here in Sooke, on Vancouver Island. The snow covered tree is from Cypress Mountain on the north shore of Vancouver. This is where a lot of the Olympic events will be taking place, including Aerials and Sowboard Halfpipe. I have tickets to a few events, including Men's Aerials. I can't wait! (I just hope they get a bit more snow, as it's been pretty mild since late December...)

2 comments:

Mary Anne Cary said...

Congratulations Lisa! That's pretty awesome! Maybe you'll become famous!!

Dana Cooper said...

These are beautiful Lisa, congratulations! Consider me a new fan!!