Sunday, May 9, 2010

Paintings from the Mother's Day Paint-In ...


Afternoon Light - 10x10", acrylic


Royal Roads Cedar - 9x12", acrylic

Had a blast today! Finally got out into the sunshine (although it was a bit hazy and cool with the breeze) and did some plein air painting. There were a lot of painters out there. I was painting by two other fantastic painters who have loads of plein air experience: Jim McFarland and Keith Levang. Their work is great, check out their sites by clicking on their names. They were a lot of fun to paint with!

I mentioned before that painting outside without a reference photo really wasn't my thing, but I quite enjoyed myself today. My previous attempts last year weren't all that successful, but towards the end of those sessions I realized that I was trying to paint in a different style than how I paint in the studio. Why? I have no idea. But once I stopped trying to do that, the paintings started to turn out a bit better. I know these aren't masterpieces, but they are better than I expected. I'm sure I'll tweak them up a bit in the studio...

1 comment:

JanettMarie said...

These are nice Lisa, quite strong.