Monday, May 17, 2010

Eagles and Robins

Well, didn't get as much done on the eagle painting as I was hoping I would yesterday (got a little distracted by some gardening). But it's getting close! Just have to work on the leaves and touch up the branches, then the background. The background will be a bit of a challenge - it's pretty big. I do want to vary the colour a bit but not too much (brighter behind the eagle), but also keep it interesting with brush strokes. Not yet sure of my strategy. I could do it in one of three ways - horizontal strokes, vertical strokes, or random. What do you think? Suggestions are welcome ...

We have a robin's nest in the rafters just above my studio door! For the past few weeks I've been carefully and quietly going in and out of the studio, not wanting to disturb momma robin too much. She still flew away every time the door opened, no matter how slowly, but she didn't berate me for it - just flew into a nearby tree and watched. My boyfriend had a look a while ago - three babies and one egg. The past few days I have only seen momma in there to feed the chick(s). Only one baby appears to be left, and it's pretty big! Yesterday it was perched on the edge of the nest all day, waiting for food. No tail feathers yet, probably can't fly. I was extra quiet, not wanting to startle it out of the nest into the waiting claws of the neighbourhood cats...


1 comment:

Leslie Lambert Redhead said...

This eagle is looking great. I like the colors. It will be exciting to see it finished.