Monday, June 7, 2010

Quiet Waters

Quiet Waters - 14x18", acrylic ...

This is a painting that I was stuck with for ages! It started as a plein air painting way back in September, when I attended a week long art workshop on Gabriola Island (which was amazing!!! I learned tons and loved every minute). I was fairly happy this painting overall, except the colour - it was all cool colours. I brought it home with the intention of working on it, but just couldn't decide how to warm it up and with what. I did glaze it with a unifying phthalo blue, but then it just sat there for months. Finally I just took the plunge, added some warmer yellow-greens and the golden yellow water. I'm happy with it again ... (except for the photo, sorry about the glare).

If you are interested in this painting, please send me an email at info@lisariehl.com


3 comments:

suzanneberry said...

glad you went back to finish up, it's just beautiful! i love the colors and the treatment of the leaves.

Mary Anne Cary said...

Some times it is best to let them sit for a while, it helps to get a new perspective. It's so hard to be objective about our own work. This works well!

Lisa Riehl said...

Thanks to both of you! I am glad I stuck with this one. Having it sit around is quite good when you are stuck...