Sunday, July 22, 2012

Moss Street Paint-In


Yesterday was the Moss Street Paint-In (now known as the TD Art Gallery Paint-In) - it celebrated it's 25th year!  Over 150 invited professional and emerging artists from Victoria and the surrounding areas were there, demonstrating their work on the street.  Moss Street was closed to traffic between Fort Street and Dallas Road to allow up to 35,000 people to see their favourite artists at work and have a chance to meet them.


I am so excited to be one of the lucky artists invited this year!  It gave me a chance to showcase my new encaustic work, and to meet some of the wonderful people who support artists by buying their work.  A huge thank you to all who stopped by my display.  It's so nice to hear from people that they love the work you do - that's the best encouragement an artist can hear!!!

I just painted the blue "Lisa Riehl" sign on Thursday, talk about last minute!


Painting in progress  

People were intrigued by the encaustic paintings I had brought with me.  Many had not heard of encaustics and asked lots of questions.  They have such a different look to them - luminous and textured.  I was happy to talk about my techniques, including the painting I was working on.  So many people stopped to ask questions that I stopped working on it - the acrylic paint on the palette was drying out while I was chatting with people.


I am thrilled to say that I sold quite a few of my encaustics - so exciting and rewarding!  I have a lot of work ahead of me to prepare for my next few art market weekends in August - I need some more work to show...






No comments: